M. LaHart & Co. Ltd. is committed to conducting its business affairs in a socially responsible and ethical manner consistent with our respective educational, research and/or service missions, and to protecting and preserving the global environment. We have adopted the following Labor Code Standards which require that all of our employees, contractors, subcontractors or manufacturers which produce, assemble or package finished Licensed Articles adhere to the principles set forth in the Code.
M. LaHart & Co. Ltd. agrees to operate work places and contract with companies whose work places adhere to the standards and practices described below.
EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP: Employers shall adopt and adhere to rules and conditions of employment that respect workers and, at a minimum, safeguard their rights under national and international labor and social security laws and regulations.
Employment Standards: M. LaHart & Co. Ltd. and its vendors comply with the following standards:
- COMPENSATION: Every worker has a right to compensation for a regular work week that is sufficient to meet the worker’s basic needs and provide some discretionary income. Employers shall pay at least the minimum wage or the appropriate prevailing wage, whichever is higher, comply with all legal requirements on wages, and provide any fringe benefits required by law or contract. Where compensation does not meet workers’ basic needs and provide some discretionary income, each employer shall work with the FLA to take appropriate actions that seek to progressively realize a level of compensation that does.
- HOURS OF WORK: Employers shall not require workers to work more than the regular and overtime hours allowed by the law of the country where the workers are employed. The regular work week shall not exceed 48 hours. Employers shall allow workers at least 24 consecutive hours of rest in every seven-day period. All overtime work shall be consensual. Employers shall not request overtime on a regular basis and shall compensate all overtime work at a premium rate. Other than in exceptional circumstances, the sum of regular and overtime hours in a week shall not exceed 60 hours.
- CHILD LABOR: No person shall be employed under the age of 15 or under the age for completion of compulsory education, whichever is higher.
- FORCED LABOR: There shall be no use of forced labor, including prison labor, indentured labor, bonded labor or other forms of forced labor.
- HEALTH, SAFETY, AND ENVIRONMENT: Employers shall provide a safe and healthy workplace setting to prevent accidents and injury to health arising out of, linked with, or occurring in the course of work or as a result of the operation of employers’ facilities. Employers shall adopt responsible measures to mitigate negative impacts that the workplace as on the environment.
- NONDISCRIMINATION: No person shall be subject to any discrimination in employment, including hiring, salary, benefits, advancement, discipline, termination or retirement, on the basis of gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, nationality, political opinion, or social or ethnic origin.
- HARASSMENT OR ABUSE: Every employee shall be treated with dignity and respect. No employee shall be subject to any physical, sexual, psychological or verbal harassment or abuse. M. LaHart & Co. Ltd. and its vendors will not use or tolerate any form of corporal punishment.
- FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION AND COLLECTIVE BARGAINING: Employers shall recognize the right of employees to freedom of association and collective bargaining.